Updated: Sep 13, 2018
5 steps to manifest a mentally balanced and fulfilled life.
By: Camesha L Jones, Founder of Sista Afya
"Make me Whole" was a phrase I often heard from spiritually-filled elders in conversations about a yearning to be better and do better. It took years for me to understand what it means to be made whole inside and outside of a spiritual context. I truly did not understand what it meant to continue to strive towards wholeness until I had no choice but to live a balanced life to survive.
Living with a mental health condition forces you to pay attention to various aspects of your life that could usually go unnoticed. I was able to understand how one piece of my life being out of balance could have a ripple effect on other parts. I learned this best when I took on too much which caused worry and on-edge feelings. When I did not get enough sleep at night and was irritable the next day; and when I was working a job that could barely pay my bills that left me stressed about being able to make ends meet.
From these experiences and many others, I realized that being mentally balanced and well takes serious effort and commitment. Wellness is an ongoing practice that is necessary for long-term vitality. Once it is put into motion, one can experience a drastic change in their life that can lead to an abundance of benefits.
Here are 5 steps that you can use to manifest wholeness through mental wellness:
1. Define what Wholeness means for you: Everyone has different needs for different challenges. There is no one way to be well and whole. Imagine your future self as Whole and what it would look like to get there. Starting with how you envision yourself in the future, gives you something to work towards and manifest who you want to be into existence.
2. Eliminate stressors and reduce triggers: Once you know where you want to be, you can begin to eliminate the things in your life that are causing you stress. Whether it is your social life, workplace, or negative thoughts, you can find a way to eliminate things that could have damaging effects long-term. Understanding what bothers you also helps you to know how to respond to challenging situations when they arise.
3. Create practices that bring you joy: Wellness can be fun! Find ways to integrate things you love into your life on a daily basis. Activities like listening to music, going for a walk in a serene environment, or adorning your space to be a relaxing environment are all a part of wellness. Wellness is not just going to the gym or therapy, it is anything that brings you joy and helps you to stay balanced.
4. Set up a way to hold yourself accountable: Having ways to track your progress is essential when using wellness to manifest wholeness in your life. Whether it is a check-in with a family member daily or someone who is more formal like a coach or therapist, these people can help you to see how you are doing from an outside opinion and to put you in check when you are not at your best.
5. Strive for consistency and commitment, not perfection: Being mentally balanced and having a fulfilled life does not mean being perfect. Rather it is being consistent and committed to keeping yourself in alignment so you can live out a full, whole, and purposeful life. There are going to be days where things don't go as planned and that's okay. As long as you're able to get back on track and work towards the self you want to manifest is what matters most.
Having a mentally-balanced, well, and full life is achievable. Once you are willing to put forward effort to be whole, you will begin to manifest the person you are destined to be.
If you would like to learn more about mental wellness and wholeness for Black women, come out to our upcoming workshop - Mental Wellness: Supporting the Whole Black Woman on Sept. 15th. We will discuss how to enhance the many aspects of our lives so you can walk in your power.